Understanding the ICD-10 guidelines
There is more to ICD-10 coding than learning the diagnosis and procedure codes. Medical coders need to understand the guidelines that explain how ICD-10-CM/PCS codes should be used.
- ICD-10 Coding and Reporting Guidelines for Outpatient Services: "The guidelines for outpatient services are distinctly different from inpatient services and a careful review is necessary." (ImplementHIT)
Here are a few more examples to help you understand how ICD-10-CM/PCS code sets are organized:
- Perils peeping up all day: Never knew that such little chicks could cause so many ICD-10 codes. (ICD-10 Trainer)
- ICD-10-PCS, Root Operations – Part 40, Procedures: Excision of left axillary lymph node. (Codebusters)
- Beware of infectious toddlers: Especially when they have hand, foot, and mouth disease (HFMD). (ICD-10 Trainer)
- Free quiz: ICD-10-CM codes for complications of surgical and medical care, not elsewhere classified (justcoding.com)
This is a weekly feature that I use to highlight practical tips on how to use and understand ICD-10-CM/PCS codes. Please let me know of any other sources that I can include.